- Subaru Telescope of the National Astronomical Observatory Japan, which utilizes the company's actuator technologies, is delivered and installed on Mauna Kea, Hawaii Island, Hawaii, USA.
- Fastest elevators in China (540m/min) delivered to the Jin Mao Building in Shanghai China, the second tallest building in the world.
- Established TMA Electric Corp. a joint venture with Toshiba Corporation for the development and manufacture of high-capacity electric motors.
- Completed and commenced operations at the Higashihama Recycling Center, the first recycling plant for the household appliance industry.
- Introduced practical use of CMOS image sensor technology.
- Agreement made with Matsushita Electric and Matsushita Electronics for joint development of next-generation system LSI.
- Started mass production of the world's first CMOS image sensor.
- Developed the Bedside Wellness System.
- Commenced sales of the ultra-thin mobile computer, Pedion.
- Awarded "Best-of-the-Best" prize by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in recognition of outstanding contributions to environmental protection.
- Established a joint venture in China for the production of semiconductors.
- Developed an interactive game based on gesture input using artificial retina chip.
- Integrated overseas and domestic business divisions in response to globalization.
- Estabilished research center in Europe.
- Released the "Chilled" refrigerator in response to the CFC controls introduced in 1996.
- Reductions in the use of special chlorofluorocarbons.
- Installed the world's fastest passenger elevator at the time (750m/min), in the Landmark Tower Yokohama.
- Delivered the Heavy Ion Medical Accelerator (HIMAC) to the National Institute of Radiological Sciences.
- Successfully developed an artificial retina chip.
- Estabilished the SOCIO-ROOTS Fund.
- Developed a CMOS image sensor.
- Strengthened foothold in the computer business through tie-ups with IBM and Hewlett-Packard.
- Established the Mitsubishi Electric Thailand Foundation.
- Developed and implemented a high-definition full-color sublimation printer for CAD applications.
- Commenced trial production of 64Mbit DRAMs.
- Activities to boost U.S. community contributions begun at Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation.
- Released the "Scene" range of light fixtures designed for lifestyle scenarios.
- Released successive domestic appliances and other products incorporating fuzzy logic.
- Released a die-sinking electrodischarge machine featuring fuzzy logic-based control.
- Purchased the hardware division of the British firm Apricot Computers.